Re: 2.4.27 -> 2.4.28 breaks i810-tco watchdog timer

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 01:03:57 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:59:35AM +1300, Simon Byrnand wrote:
(...)
> e400-e47f : motherboard
> e800-e81f : motherboard
> ec00-ec3f : motherboard
> f000-f00f : Intel Corp. 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller
> f000-f007 : ide0
> f008-f00f : ide1
>
> Clearly the IO range the driver is trying to open is already in use by
> "motherboard". If I check another almost identical machine still running
> 2.4.27 but with the watchdog timer unloaded, /proc/ioports gives:

grep -r shows that it's ACPI which declares this "motherboard" name. I
seem to remember about a change in the ACPI resource reservation. You
might want to check with Len or Marcelo. I believe you cannot disable
it if you want to use HT.

(...)

> For some reason a blanket range of IO addresses are being allocated which
> include the range needed by the i810-tco watchdog timer. Why ? I don't see
> any changes to the code for the watchdog timer itself so it seems that
> something else is allocating that range first. Does anyone know of a patch
> to fix this ? Running without a watchdog timer until the next kernel
> version doesnt appeal :( (I can't go back to 2.4.27 due to other problems
> with that version)

Maybe you can hack the driver if you absolutely need to load 2.4.28+TCO.
Simply comment out the "return -EIO" at line 402. It will still print
the message but should load.

Regards,
Willy