backing_dev_info == 8?!

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 17:27:45 EST

Hi all.

Running 2.6.9, I sometimes get oopses in what I think is called VFS
related code (struct inode, dentry and so on). Last night, for example,
I saw an oops in file_ra_state_init which occurred because the
backing_dev_info being dereferenced was set to 0x8. Everything else in
the struct looked normal, and related structs with backing_dev_info also
had the value set to 8. (The oops occurred in process locate, called via
sys_open). My question, then, is "Does anyone know if any bugs related
to this have been found/fixed since 2.6.9?". I'm considering running BK
for a while and seeing if it's still there.

The kernel isn't vanilla, but I don't think any of the additions
(Win4Lin, kgdb, suspend2, bootsplash) are affecting this.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6