Re: Linux 2.6.10-rc3 oops when 'modprobe -r dvb-bt8xx'

From: Michael Hunold
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 15:37:33 EST

Hi,

Am 12/07/04 19:03, Gerd Knorr schrieb:
I somehow feel the best way to deal with that is to merge the
redesigned frontend handing pending in -mm at the moment into Linus
tree _now_, that should kill that whole class of bugs.

Johannes and I had agreed with Andrew that the redesigned frontend code should stay in -mm for now, because we expect that support for some cards is broken. We currently don't receive very much reports on the mailing list though.

That may result in the dvb subsystem not being that stable in 2.6.10.
But dvb not being rock solid in 2.6.10 will very likely happen anyway
as the code currently in Linus' tree isn't very stable as well. I
think the chance that it gets even worse is small enougth that we can
take the risk.

Additional bonus would be that we don't get bugreports for the old
code base which is already obsolete (and nobody wants to work on
because of that).

Michael?

I just spoke to Johannes and we agree with you, Gerd. The DVB changes can and should be merged from -mm now. There is a fair chance that the remaining issues with broken cards can be resolved before 2.6.10.

The code is in a good shape and only some small patches are missing from the LinuxTV.org CVS.

I can prepare a patch that fixes the support for some cards and other minor improvements tomorrow.

Gerd

CU
Michael.