Re: growisofs / system load / dma setting

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 12:14:39 EST

Thomas Fritzsche wrote:
Hi Linux-Hackers,

I posted this message first to the cdwriter mailing list (
http://www.mail-archive.com/cdwrite%40other.debian.org/msg07041.html )
but they told me this is a kernel problem, thus I post it here again.
Because I had this DVD-Device running without problem in 2.6.8 I can
exclude that it's a cabel/hw-problem.

Thanks and regards,
Thomas Fritzsche
---------------------------------------
Hi all,

I'm using growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=/link/to/iso.iso to burn DVD-Video's. This
works, BUT the system load is very high while burning. I'l checked DMA
setting but DMA is on (and 32 bit). I googled around but can not find a
solution. I tried again and found that after burning dma is off!? I
checked dmesg and found message:
--------------------------------------
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: irq timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
--------------------------------------
I tested a few times and sometimes only the system load is very high but
DMA is still set after the run, but often DMA setting is disabled and I
get the message above.

My system configuration is:

uname -a
Linux vdr.noto.de 2.4.27-ctvdr-1 #1 Fri Oct 15 18:38:29 UTC 2004 i686
GNU/Linux

hdparm -i /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

Model=_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG, FwRev=2.16, SerialNo=
Config={ Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
(maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
AdvancedPM=no

* signifies the current active mode

Is this a growisofs problem or a kernel problem? What causes this trouble?
What can I do to avoid this problems.

Do you have any automounter daemon running? All the window managers are really bad about this, even when told not to do that, they do (under some conditions I haven't isolated).

Try it running with X down (console mode). If the problem goes away you have a start, if not track the system with "vmstat 1" and post a screen or two.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)