Re: Rereading disk geometry without reboot

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 10:55:25 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
I am using linux kernel 2.6.9 on a san. I have file systems on

(What's a SAN?)

non-partitioned disks. I can resize the disk on the SAN, reboot and grow
the XFS file system those disks. What I would like to avoid rebooting or
even unmounting the filesystem if possible.

Is there any way to get the kernel to re-read the disk geometry and change
the information it holds without rebooting or reloading the module (which is
as bad as a reboot in my case)?

The `fdisk` tool will spit out an ioctl() to make the kernel reread the
partition table (on normal computers, don't know about or what SAN). No need to
reboot there at least.

There's 'blockdev --rereadpt' also, but neither of these work
on a mounted filesystem afaik.

--
~Randy