Re: _High_ CPU usage while routing (mostly) small UDP packets

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 19:01:12 EST

Karsten Desler writes:

* David S. Miller wrote:
It's spending nearly half of it's time in iptables.
Try to consolidate your rules if possible. This is the
part of netfilter that really doesn't scale well at all.

Removing the iptables rules helps reducing the load a little, but the
majority of time is still spent somewhere else.

I had a similar scenario recently with a very low spec box and found it to be the QoS. Disabling traffic shaping and removing the QoS modules made it much faster. I don't know if you're using them but it's worth pointing out.

Cheers,
Con