Re: [RFC] dynamic syscalls revisited

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 17:23:00 EST

Steven Rostedt wrote:

I disagree about this statement. ioctl's suck because they usually have
none, or very poor documentation and you are stuck with opening devices,
and sending parameters to them that may be for the wrong device and
there is really no good checking to see what you sent is what you want
since its all defined by human unreadable numbers.

That's like saying you might be calling the wrong syscall by accident.

As for dynamic system calls (and especially the way I've implemented
them) you have human readable names, with varying amount of parameters
that can make sense. So even if you still have none to very poor
documentation, you can understand things perhaps a little better. There
is also much better checking in dynamic system calls than to ioctls.

There is NO checking in the syscall interface. Period. Any such checking is a facility of some kind of stub generator, and that's independent of the method used to invoke it.

-hpa