Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm2-V0.7.32-0

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 10:36:21 EST

* Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx <Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >i'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but 'low RT load' in
> >this context means up to a load of 1.0. (i.e. one or less tasks running
> >on average)

> I am not quite so sure that is a good assumption with our real time
> system either. [...]

I implemented this feature with your workload in mind. This is what i
wrote:

> > on low RT load (the common case) the scheduler behaves like the
> > stock scheduler - the new logic only kicks in if a CPU runqueue has
> > 2 or more RT tasks running at once.

'the common case' == ordinary (non-RT) Linux boxes! When i implement
scheduler features i'm always trying to make them as generic as
possible, i.e. this feature too is structured to be as upstream
mergeable as possible. For that purpose the change had to be
low-overhead in the common, non-RT case. It is easy to hack the
scheduler to fix some RT issue but break the generic scheduler - this
solution is not meant to be such a hack.

Ingo