Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 04:57:01 EST

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 06:05:20PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:

> Bluntlly, I don't understand why "#include <linux/version.h>" and several
> #ifdefs is an improvement on "#include <linux/loop.h>" with no #ifdefs.

Look at the history of util-linux.

Of course it did the latter. Up to the point that broke.
Then invented a silly workaround. Up to the point that broke.
Then tried something else. Up to the point that broke.
Then gave up including this particular header and made a
private copy. Again, there is some painful history with
the private copy. I showed the current version.

You see - util-linux advertises: all kernels, all archs,
all libc versions since 4.6.27.
If the kernel improves today, it is too late for util-linux.

But yes, the include situation is painful.
It seems there is some recent progress. We'll see what happens.

Andries