Re: 2.6.9, 64bit, 4GB memory => panics ...

From: Zwane Mwaikambo
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 01:29:05 EST

Hello Rudolf,

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Rudolf Usselmann wrote:

> FYI, I tried 2.9.10-rc3 kernel, same problem.
>
> Can anyone guide me or give me some pointers how I can enable
> login on serial ports - that would hopefully allow me to capture
> more/longer kernal panic screens. Doing an rlogin doesn't help,
> the kernel panic is still going to the root console (24 lines
> visible).
>
> Any other tips/pointers as to how to capture kernel panics or
> what else I can do to help you guys to help me would be highly
> appreciated. :*)

Make sure that you have the following option in your kernel;

CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y

Then boot the kernel with this kernel parameter;

console=ttyS0,38400

Make necessary adjustments for baud rate and serial port. Then you may
additionally add a getty on the console with something akin to the
following /etc/inittab entry;

7:35:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 ttyS0

Finally all you need is a program on the monitoring system, minicom
should suffice if you have nothing else.

Zwane