Re: Proposal for a userspace "architecture portability" library

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 21:11:42 EST

Paul Mackerras wrote:

No, for semaphores and rwsems I was going to use futexes. Or maybe we
don't need the kernel's semaphores, rwsems and spinlocks in userspace
at all. I'm open to suggestions.

I think that _all_ of these items can find use in userspace, if they are usable with glibc's threading implementation and the other userspace issues that would be involved.

I for one would love to be able to use lightweight rwsems and spinlocks in an application I'm working on, but it's entirely userspace and it would be impossible for _me_ to pick out this code from the kernel tree and make it work on any architecture that I don't have here (which is all of them except x86 <G>).