Re: [patch-2.6.x] fix compile failure if CONFIG_PROC_KCORE not set.

From: Russell King
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 12:13:43 EST

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 05:01:57PM +0000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> I know that /proc/kcore support cannot be disabled by normal means but
> since it is conditional upon CONFIG_PROC_KCORE in fs/proc/Makefile it
> makes sense to make sure that kernel compiles even if it is disabled
> manually by editing .config and include/linux/autoconf.h or if in the
> future CONFIG_PROC_KCORE becomes a real CONFIG_ variable.

CONFIG_PROC_KCORE currently exists to allow ARM and others to drop
the nonfunctional /proc/kcore support from the kernel. It wasn't
intended to be a configuration option as such.

However, if you wish it to be so, there's no problem provided that
the architectures are fixed up as you've done for x86, and that the
ability for certain architectures to ensure that this is never
selected is preserved.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/