Re: wakeup_pmode_return jmp failing?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 12:03:49 EST

Mike Waychison wrote:

Hello,

Not sure who to direct this to. I've been trying to get acpi s3 to work
on my pentium M laptop (tecra m2). Without the nvidia driver loaded, I
can echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep and the machine does indeed suspend (power
light throbs and all). However, when I try to wake up the thing, it
would flash the bios screen and throw me back to grub.

I've been investigating the code at arch/i386/kernel/acpi/wakeup.S, and
have discovered that if I place a busy wait directory before the ljmpl
to wakeup_pmode_return, that I indeed do see 'Lin' on the screen instead
of the bios screen.

The joke is, if I place a busy wait first thing after the
wakeup_pmode_return label, it never gets executed and I get a regular boot.

It would appear as though the jump from 16bit code into the 32bit code
is failing and the bios is kicking in with a regular startup.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Install a 2.4 kernel with apm enabled and use that.

That's serious, I have an IBM, Tecra, Dell, and Acer, and 5-6 friends running Linux on laptops. Every one (other than the Acer) works with "apm -s" and recovers. Some work with "apm -S". The Acer never had a 2.4 kernel, and I haven't rebuilt with apm on 2.6 (or even looked to see if it was supported). All of these suspend fine with ACPI, none ever wakes up.

Is suspend even supposed to be generally functional? I thought it was a WIP not expected to work except on certain models which have been hand tuned by the developers. In fact I have a message somewhere saying you have to get out of X to a text console, manually shutdown the network, and then it might work. Then start everything up again.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc