Re: Problem: Kernel Panic/Oops on shutdown with 2.6.9 and Dell Optiplex SX280

From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 09:11:22 EST

Hello!

Alan Cox schrieb:
> Are you running some kind of sniffer tool on these machines. That
> message itself is the last sniffer type application exiting. If you are
> running such a tool then it tells you that the shutdown got that far
> into the shutdown scripts which may help the search.

Yes, it's arpwatch.

In fact there are 5 init scripts which could trigger the bug. One of
them (powersaved) runs fuser directly. I've traced the other shutdown
scripts via "sh -x -v" and none of them appears to call fuser.

The line from /etc/init.d/powersaved is

for X in $(fuser /proc/acpi/event);do

> something newer might help. 10rc2 has a fairly number of the problems
> fixed and a few new ones (eg it won't boot on some boxes) but might be
> useful to at least see if you are chaasing a fixed bug

This, together with your comment about USB + SCSI bug fixes below
sounds as if we really want to use 2.6.10rc2 (if it boots), because
having a machine crash during normal work is a lot worse than on
shutdown.

> > nnpfs 213484 1 - Live 0xe02ad000
> > subfs 12288 1 - Live 0xe01c4000
>
> This is ARLA stuff ?

nnpfs is the kernel-side portion of the AFS Client, subfs is from the
submount package (km_submount) from SuSE 9.1. It allows users to
insert cds and change to /media/cdrecorder to access them and also
allows the user to eject the cd as soon as there's no process in
/media/cdrecorder any more. See http://submount.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for your help!

I already mentioned to Andrew Morton that right now it seems prudent
to continue with 2.6.10rc2 (to get rid of the USB and scsi problems)
and try to convince __d_path to give a conclusive hint about the
culprit.

Kind regards
FDF
--
Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs (IT-Services), DFN-CERT Services GmbH
https://www.dfn-cert.de, +49 40 808077-555 (Hotline)