Re: Time sliced CFQ io scheduler

From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 05:46:49 EST

Jens Axboe schrieb:
On Fri, Dec 03 2004, Jens Axboe wrote:

Funky. It looks like another case of the io scheduler being at the wrong
place - if raid sends dependent reads to different drives, it screws up
the io scheduling. The right way to fix that would be to io scheduler
before raid (reverse of what we do now), but that is a lot of work. A
hack would be to try and tie processes to one md component for periods
of time, sort of like cfq slicing.

It makes sense to split the slice period for sync and async requests,
since async requests usually get a lot of requests queued in a short
period of time. Might even make sense to introduce a slice_rq value as
well, limiting the number of requests queued in a given slice.

But at least this patch lets you set slice_sync and slice_async
seperately, if you want to experiement.

An idea, which values I should try?

In generell I rather have the impression the problem I am experiencing is not the problem of the io scheduler alone or why do all show the same problem?

BTW, I just did my little test on the ide drive and it shows the same problem, so it is not sata / libata related.

Prakash