Re: dma errors with sata_sil and Seagate disk

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 23:08:44 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Iau, 2004-12-02 at 10:01, MÃns RullgÃrd wrote:

Is there some problem with Seagate drives in general? I'm using two
ST3160827AS drives on an SI3114 controller, and haven't seen any
glitches yet. That model is not in the blacklist, and performance is
what I'd usually expect. Is it pure luck that has kept me away from
problems?

I've never been able to get a non NDA list of the affected drives. Got
to love vendors some days

I seriously doubt a complete list exists, NDA or no. You'd have to poll each vendor.

I also suspect that a few of the more recent Seagate additions are simply masking a problem in the BIOS.

SiI 311x problems have a history of resolving themselves through BIOS updates and tweaks. Most recently a lockup was solved by tweaking a 'byte enable' setting in an nForce mobo BIOS.

Jeff