kernel boot hang, SATA_VIA compiled without APIC_IO

From: Eldad Zack
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 20:48:44 EST

Hello,

I've recently got a SATA capable machine (Via chipset) and I've exprienced a
nasty hang at boottime, using kernel 2.6.9.
After some recompiling different parameters it boiled down to APIC_IO being
not selected (this is a UP machine).

Without APIC_IO selected the system would hang while loading SATA.

I've only tried 2.6.5 to notice it would not hang but would emit messeges as
"hde: lost interrupt", and eventually go on with the boot, the sata being
unusable.

Out of curiousity, I'd like to know if APIC_IO is absolutly needed when
dealing with SATA, and also, I'd like to help debug this problem so that a
kernel compiled without APIC_IO would at the very least not hang...

--
Eldad Zack <eldad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Key/Fingerprint at pgp.mit.edu, ID 0x96EA0A93