Re: kernel crashes with 2.5/2.8

From: John Newman
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 20:04:16 EST

Ok, I got some time this evening to run memtest86. With the 2650
configured with 2 1GB sticks memtest86 started reprting errors almost
immediately. "Terrfic!" I thought, "this is my problem!" The address
seemed suspicious though: 0007ffedc80 (2047.8MB) is where all the
errors were reported. I decided to let it run all the way through but
it froze at 34% of the first test. Memtest86 also said it did not
support this chipset when I tried to dink with advanced options.

So, I replaced the ram with 4 512MB sticks I had laying around from a
different Dell machine. I booted memtest86 again and what do you
know.... errors @ 0007ffedc80, with completely different RAM. So
obviously these results are fishy.

Someone replied to me off-list and said the only way they could get
their Dell 2650 stable was by running 2.4.28.

--
john

--
John