Re: Kernel 2.6.9 Multiple Page Allocation Failures

From: Stefan Schmidt
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 17:34:05 EST

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:03:48PM +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> > > I found out that 2.6.6-bk4 kernel is OK.
> > That kernel didn't have the TSO thing. Pretty much all of these reports
> > have been against e1000_alloc_rx_buffers() since the TSO changes went in.
> > Did you try disabling TSO, btw?
> I did it. Allocation failure is still there :(
I had no luck with/without TSO either but on tg3.
I disabled the on-disk-caching component of the application and it now runs
without page allocation errors. Currently it is running smoothly at ~500mbit/s
and ~80kpps in each direction at ~44k interrupts/s, so the problematic
combination seems to be many open files, high i/o transaction rate or
troughput and heavy networking load. (tso currently on)
Caching on ext2-fs in general seemed to generate less page allocation errors
than on xfs and none of the traces i looked over so far showed involvement
of the filesystem i.e. were all triggered by alloc_skb.

Stefan