ext3 on encrypted device mapper

From: Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 13:19:41 EST

Hi,

i'm using a linux debian sarge on an encrypted root filesystem with linux 2.6.10-rc2 kernel.

Filesystem is encrypted using dmcrypt, the encryption framework working on top of the device mapper.

I deleted a file and immediatelly i attempted to recover it using debugfs.

Linux aaa 2.6.10-rc2 #1 Wed Dec 1 09:52:37 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

aaa:~# df -k .
/dev/mapper/rootfs 8676440 5278584 2957108 65% /

aaa:~# debugfs /dev/mapper/rootfs
debugfs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
debugfs: lsdel

aaa:~# strings /dev/mapper/rootfs
strings: Warning: '/dev/mapper/rootfs' is not an ordinary file

Unfortunatelly neither with debugfs neither with a rogue strings i can access data on the encrypted filesystem.

I think that device mapper should be modified to allow debugfs checking and to allow access on it like a tradional hard drive.

Regards

--aaa