Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm3-V0.7.31-19

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 07:33:07 EST

* Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > the 2.6 msec timeout in pipe_poll() already generates an xrun.
>
> yep. now the question is: why did jackd have to wait so long for the
> client? what was the client doing? was it sleeping? what client was
> it? probably not the simple jack_test client, right?

it's very likely not the simple jack_test client. I've attached the
trace in question. Here are the tasks that were running:

gkrellm
IRQ 0
IRQ 14
IRQ 5
jackd
kblockd
korgac
ksoftirq
qjackctl
qsynth
xmms

the trace doesnt show what task jackd was waiting on, and it would be
hard to establish it, the tracepoint would have to 'discover' all other
holders of the pipe fd, which is quite complex.

> Oh wow. Just before hitting send i got three xruns of around
> 0.020-0.050msec. Ok, will read up on recent emails to see what to do
> to debug these.

which jackd version is this? I saw similar small spurious xruns with
99.0, those went away in recent CVS versions.

Ingo