Re: Suspend 2 merge: 24/51: Keyboard and serial console hooks.

From: pb
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 23:06:55 EST

On Thursday 25 November 2004 07:02, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 01:57:58PM -0800, Jan Rychter wrote:
> > Obviously you have never actually tried to use software suspend in real
> > life.
> >
> > I would kindly suggest that you try to use it on your laptop for at
> > least several weeks in various circumstances. These features are a
> > result of years of user experience.

Lets say <UNDERLINE><BOLD>THOUSANDS OF MAN YEARS</UNDERLINE></BOLD>

> I tend to buy laptops that just suspend when closing the lid, and no, I
never
> had the strange desired to immediately reverse my choice. Neither do I want
> to stop the shutdown that I just initiated.

Perhaps many less fortunate "users" ;) (_including_ myself), can change their
minds anytime and open the lid again.

Thus, IMHO support for "changing ones mind" is imperative.

As to reboot, we hardly use it:
- Test partitions get reset with the yournal doing the dirty work.
- The main partition gets rebooted only:
- when some stupid app(s) leaked all memory away and we are out of swap
... sometimes weekly :-(
- for (monthly) fsck.
- when updating glibc twice a year or so

Dependable and flexible software suspend is a way of life yet to be
experienced by many.

Offtopic, IMO a garbage collector is highly desirable...

Michael