Re: cd burning, capabilities and available modes

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 17:45:10 EST

J.A. Magallon wrote:
Hi...

Following my little oddisey to let cd-burning easy for my users,
I think I have found another problem.

It looks like the formats available to cdrecord depend on being root
(cdrecord is not suid, if it is it complains it cant reserve some
buffers).

As root:

werewolf:/store/tmp# cdrecord -dummy dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 *.iso
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R

As user:
werewolf:/store/tmp> cdrecord -dummy dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 *.iso
cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,0,0'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
WARNING ! Cannot gain SYS_RAWIO capability ! : Operation not permitted
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities : Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-4120B'
Revision : 'A102'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE Supported modes: cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.

Uh ?

Some suggestions ?

I get that all the time, because one of my drives doesn't support TAO burning. I suspect your firmware sucks, and you will have to use session at a time rather than track at a time, option "-sao" works for me. Are you running standard cdrecord or one of the hacks?

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)