Re: [patch 4/10] s390: network driver.

From: Thomas Spatzier
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 05:30:53 EST

> You should be using netif_carrier_{on,off} properly, and not drop the
> packets. When (if) link comes back, you requeue the packets to hardware
> (or hypervisor or whatever). Your dev->stop() should stop operation and
> clean up anything left in your send/receive {rings | buffers}.

When we do not drop packets, but call netif_stop_queue the write queues
of all sockets associated to the net device are blocked as soon as they
get full. This causes problems with programs such as the zebra routing
daemon. So we have to keep the netif queue running in order to not block
any programs.
We also had a look at some other drivers and the common behaviour seems to
be that packets are lost if the network cable is pulled out.

Regards,
Thomas.