Re: Warning Fix drivers/net/wireless in Kernel 2.6.9

From: David Gibson
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 19:02:50 EST

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 12:51:43PM -0800, Bryan Batten wrote:
> The patch removes the "makes pointer from integer without a cast"
> warnings in orinoco code by casting the appropriate parameter to
> readw, writew as (void *) in the header file hermes.h.
>
> The underlying problem is that readw/writes boil down to low level
> calls that take a pointer, while inw/outw boil down (eventually) to
> low level calls that take an int. So the choice was to either cast
> inw, outw parameters as (int)'s, or cast readw, writew parameters as
> (void *). I chose the latter.
>
> I suspect the truly "best" fix would be to change the underlying
> inx/outx definitions to accept a pointer, so's to be consistent
> with the definitions of readx/writex, but that would probably break
> other stuff.

That's what the new ioread*() and iowrite*() functions are for. Al
Viro has already made a fix to use these, and it is in the netdev bk
tree.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist. NOT _the_ _other_ _way_
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson