Re: insmod module-loading errors, Linux-2.6.9

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 15:23:51 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:52:18 EST, linux-os said:

They simply should not have removed the "-f" option of
insmod. It's just that simple. This option allowed transient
(possible) incompatibilities so that one could be productive
and not spend a whole day reinstalling from a distribution
CD because the new modules wouldn't work because somebody
decided that their special VERMAGIC_STRING was so ")@*&#$%)"
important that they preempted my work. Don't get me started....

Yes, instead you can spend a whole day reinstalling from a
distribution CD, and then restoring user files from backup,
because the new module you just 'insmod -f' had a different
number of parameters to some kernel call, and as a result your
stack got smashed and took the root filesystem with it....

This is Linux, not MS-DOS, where the system works for the user and you shouldn't have to do nonsense like "do you really want to load the module?" I agree with Dick, you shouldn't have to recompile the whole kernel to fix a trivial change. If you shoot yourself in the foot it's your fault, taking away the the gun is the policy of another o/s I won't name.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)