Re: SATA loosing interrupts

From: Jason Baron
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 18:14:33 EST

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, J.A. Magallon wrote:

> Hi...
>
> Apart from this, 2.6.9-mm1 is fairly stable (Congrats!), I use it as
> samba server and is working fine. But sometimes I get this, and the
> box gets unresponsive:
>
> Nov 6 04:05:54 nada kernel: ata5: command timeout
> Nov 6 04:06:19 nada kernel: hde: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> Nov 6 04:06:29 nada kernel: hde: DMA interrupt recovery
> Nov 6 04:06:29 nada kernel: hde: lost interrupt
>
> Any ata5 is a SATA channel on the second of two Promise cards.
>
> Any ideas ?

I'm not sure what the cause of this is, but this does indeed to be a
common problem. This is the second e-mail today on lkml about this and
i've seen it logged against a couple of distros.

I've hit it on a test system as well, which runs 2.4.9, 2.4.21, without
problems, but hits the above error on 2.6.9, and the system becomes
completely unresponsive. Another note of interest is that i've seen the
following message in the logs:

psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization,
throwing...

So indeed it seems like some sort of timing issue?

-Jason