Re: RivaFB on Geforce FX 5200

From: Janusz Dziemidowicz
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 15:14:36 EST

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Oded Shimon wrote:

One problem is when switching from X back to FB console, I can still see the X
cache (at the different res and color depth, it simply looks like noise...),
until some kind of modification has happenned in the console.
If i run any kind of program which modifies the frame buffer, for ex. fbset or
ppmtofb, the FB console is irreversibly ruined until reboot. (it looks mostly
like noise which you can barely make out the console text underneath).
The worst problem - no penguin at boot up. :( There is a black bar in the
area where its supposed to be, but no image...
My guess is the cause for most of these problem is me causing the driver to
think it can support my card, when it doesn't really have all the kinks
sorted out...

Hi,
I assume You are trying to use rivafb with nvidia binary drivers? If that's the case, then here's an excerpt from NVIDIA README file:

Q: My system hangs when vt-switching if I have rivafb enabled.

A: Using both rivafb and the NVIDIA kernel module at the same time is
currently broken. In general, using two independent software drivers
to drive the same piece of hardware is a bad idea.

So it is unlikely to make this two drivers to work together.

--
Janusz Dziemidowicz
rraptorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx