/sys/devices/system/timer registered twice

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 14:32:22 EST

Hi,
I got this on a Centrino box with the latest bk:

[kay@pim linux.kay]$ ls -l /sys/devices/system/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 0 Nov 8 15:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Nov 8 15:12 ..
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Nov 8 15:12 cpu
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Nov 8 15:12 i8259
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Nov 8 15:12 ioapic
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Nov 8 15:12 irqrouter

It is caused by registering two devices with the name "timer" from:

arch/i386/kernel/time.c
arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer_pit.c

If I change one of the names, I get two correct looking sysfs entries.

Greg, shouldn't the driver core prevent the corruption of the first
device if another one tries to register with the same name?

Thanks,
Kay