Re: Oops in 2.6.10-rc1 (almost solved)

From: Christian Kujau
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 12:28:40 EST

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:33:20 +0100, Christian Kujau wrote
> i've disabled *only* CONFIG_PREEMPT in another .config but it
> still oopses:

at least i finally found the "bad" .config option: it's CONFIG_EDD.
when i disable this option (and only this options. i can use the same
.config as usual only disbaling this very option. diff is my witness.)
i can boot a current (!) 2.6.10-rc1-bk and a working snd-ens1371!

i'll test with CONFIG_EDD=m later on. here a short summary:

2.6.9 CONFIG_EDD=y - OK
2.6.10-rc1-bk CONFIG_EDD=y - OOPS!
2.6.10-rc1-bk CONFIG_EDD=n - OK
2.6.10-rc1-bk CONFIG_EDD=m - ??

yes, i'll continue to find out the ChangeSet but now i (and perhaps you
too, if you are as curious as me) will know where to look at.
i must admit that i was not entirely sure why i wanted to enable
CONFIG_EDD at all. if i had never enabled it, it'd have saved me a week
of bug chasing, but learning is fun, too.

thanks,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #209:

Only people with names beginning with 'A' are getting mail this week (a
la Microsoft)