Re: [2.6 patch] kill IN_STRING_C

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 09:06:51 EST

> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 02:44:49PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > > Can you still reproduce this problem?
> > > If not, I'll suggest to apply the patch below which saves a few kB in
> > > lib/string.o .
> >
> > I would prefer to keep it because there is no guarantee in gcc
> > that it always inlines all string functions unless you pass
> > -minline-all-stringops. And with that the code would
> > be bloated much more than the few out of lined fallback
> > string functions.
>
> If I understand your changelog entry correctly, this wasn't the problem
> (the asm string functions are "static inline").

Actually, shouldn't the string functions be "extern inline" then?
That would mean we use the copy from lib/string.c instead of generating
a new copy for each file in which gcc decides not to inline the function.
It would also let you get rid of the IN_STRING_C hack that is needed
to avoid the clash of the "static inline" and the "extern" version.

Arnd <><