Kernel 2.6.9 & adm1021 & i2c_piix4 temperature monitoring

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 09:14:32 EST

Anyone know why this happens?

I am monitoring the temperature sensors on my Dell GX1 box, and I get the following in dmesg:

i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed reset at end of transaction (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed reset at end of transaction (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)

I am using lm-sensors 2.8.7.

Relevant modules include:

$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
adm1021 12092 0
i2c_piix4 5648 0
i2c_sensor 2912 1 adm1021
i2c_dev 7776 0
i2c_core 19312 4 adm1021,i2c_piix4,i2c_sensor,i2c_dev

Of course the ``secret'' to getting the temperature sensors to work on a Dell is two options when loading the i2c driver and the adm1024 driver.

TYPE="/sbin/modprobe"

$TYPE i2c_piix4 force=1
$TYPE adm1021 read_only=1

The force is required to enable it, otherwise I do not believe it even loads.

The read_only=1 is so it does not change the temperature range in the monitoring chip, if read_only=1 is not set and the machine gets hot, say from compiling the kernel, the machine shuts itself off.

My question is, why all the failed transactions?
I graph the temperature without any issues (system and CPU) but I still get some of these in dmesg, any ideas?