Re: 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 Dual Opteron glitches

From: Christopher E. Brown
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 18:09:18 EST

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 02 of November 2004 14:59, Daniel Egger wrote:
> > Hija,
> >
> > I've a few glitches with my brandnew dual Opteron System which I'd
> > like to share with you. First of all, all those problems seem to
> > be there with 2.6.8.1 and 2.6.9 but since this seemed to be the
> > case I moved on with 2.6.9 and hadn't investigated any further
> > on 2.6.8.1 so some of the issues might only apply to 2.6.9.
>
> I'm using 2.6.10-rc1-mm2 currently, on a dual Opteron w/ Tyan Thunder K8W.
>
> > 1) 32 bit kernel HPET calibration hang: If the kernel is compiled
> > with HPET support, the kernel will hang on boot while
> > calibrating the timer. The problem goes away if HPET support is
> > not compiled in. I've no idea what information to provide to help
> > debug this.
>
> I can't confirm this. I've just set CONFIG_HPET and friends (except for
> CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ) and nothing wrong happens.

Running 2.6.9 32bit here on a Tyan Thunder K8W with BIOS 2.02.

Is a new system, started with BIOS 1.02, built the kernel with CONFIG_HPET
and CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ enabled. No issues, but no messages about HPET
during boot.

Updated to current BIOS (that among other things adds an enable/disable
HPET option) and I have the same issues, system hang on HPET calabration,
with an opps several minutes later. Disable the HPET in BIOS and the
system boots just fine (but no HPET).