Missing SCSI command in the allowed list?

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 08:46:48 EST

While cloning an audio CD using cdrdao 1.1.9 with vanilla linux-2.6.9 as a
user, I see the following "errors":

ERROR: Read buffer capacity failed.

This refers to the buffer in the CD drive. The indiation of the drive buffer
fill is missing. The clone sounds like the original. The command used for
cloning:

cdrdao copy --device /dev/hdd --source-device /dev/hdb \
--drivergeneric-mmc-raw --speed 8 --on-the-fly --paranoia-mode 1 -v 1 \
--fast-toc

If I run that as root, there are no such "errors", and levels of both the
software cdrdao buffer and hardware buffer in the drive are indicated.

Looks like the following SCSI command is missing from the allowed list:

cmd[0] = 0x5c; // READ BUFFER CAPACITY

(according to cdrdao source, Sony CDU920 uses 0xec instead, but I don't have
Sony drives here). Please fix the list or explain why this cannot be done.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov