Re: Buffered I/O slowness

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 13:52:49 EST

On Friday, October 29, 2004 5:30 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I'm not sure that we know what's going on yet. I certainly don't. The
> > > above numbers look good, so what's the problem???
> >
> > The numbers are ~1/3 of what the machine is capable of with direct I/O.
>
> Are there CPU cycles to spare? If you have just one CPU copying 1GB/sec
> out of pagecache, maybe it is pegged?

Hm, I thought I had more CPU to spare, but when I set the readahead to a large
value, I'm taking ~100% of the CPU time on the CPU doing the read. ~98% of
that is system time. When I run 8 copies (this is an 8 CPU system), I get
~4GB/s and all the CPUs are near fully busy. I guess things aren't as bad as
I initially thought.

Thanks,
Jesse