Fchown on unix domain sockets?

From: John M Collins
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 17:57:16 EST

Please CC any reply to jmc AT xisl.com as I'm not subscribed.

I wanted to change the ownership on a unix domain socket in a program (running
as root) I was writing and I was wondering if "fchown" worked on the socket
descriptor (after I'd run "bind" of course).

It doesn't, you have to use "chown" on the path name - however "fchown"
silently does nothing, it doesn't report an error.

I don't mind it not working but I think it should report an error. This is on
2.6.3 kernel.

I tried it on HP/UX 11 and it gave EINVAL (which the HP manual page doesn't
document) and on Solaris 9 which likewise silently did nothing.

--
John Collins Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com