Re: code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 11:24:50 EST

On Sul, 2004-10-31 at 01:21, Z Smith wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > So if the desktop stuff is annoying you join gnome-love or whatever the
> > kde equivalent is 8)
>
> Or join me in my effort to limit bloat. Why use an X server
> that uses 15-30 megs of RAM when you can use FBUI which is 25 kilobytes
> of code with very minimal kmallocing?

My X server seems to be running at about 4Mbytes, plus the frame buffer
mappings which make it appear a lot larger. I wouldn't be suprised if
half the 4Mb was pixmap cache too, maybe more.

I've helped write tiny UI kits (take a look at nanogui for example) but
they don't have the flexibility of X.

Alan