Re: code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]

From: Diego Calleja
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 09:08:05 EST

El Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:25:38 -0400 Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> I ageww it's a hard problem. Right now there is massive pressure on
> Linux application developers to add features to catch up with MS and
> Apple. This inevitably leads to bloat, we all know that efficiency is

I don't think it's so bad (ie: it could be _worse_)

There's some work going on to fix some "bloat problems" too, for example
the x.org people are working in a sort of xlib complement/replacement (i
don't know its real purpose) xcb which should help latency and code
size. Composite itself is a nice way of avoiding that apps redraw their
windows all the time. KDE "speed" is better is much better than a year
ago, gnome 2.8 is also somewhat "faster" (compare nautilus in gnome 2.6
vs the one in 2.8). Openoffice 2.0 also will have some "performance
improvements" (see http://development.openoffice.org/releases/q-concept.html#4.1.3.Performance|outline
and http://development.openoffice.org/releases/q-concept.html#3.1.3.Performance|outline)