Re: readdir loses renamed files

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 01:33:54 EST

>>>It should be possible to perform an atomic readdir if that is what you
>>>want to do and if you have space in your process to stuff the result.
>>
>>How much would it cost to always append the new name into the directory rather
>>than modifying it in place?
>
>Forgive me, what does the sentence above mean? Paste it out of order?

As I have read from earlier replies, ext2/3 replaces a filename with the new
one, given that it is the same length or shorter, and especially that might
skip a while when readdir()ing.
So I was concerned about the speed impact which would arise, if the filename
was never modified in-place but always appended as a new object to the
end-of-directory.

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft fÃr Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 GÃttingen, www.gwdg.de