Re: [Fwd: Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0.4]

From: Lee Revell
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 12:50:41 EST

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 13:58 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Here is the dmesg output. It looks like the problem could be related
> > to jackd's printing from the realtime thread. But, this has to be the
> > kernel's fault on some level, because with an earlier version I get no
> > xruns.
>
> with the earlier version these spinlocks were simply disabling
> preemption, while now they will schedule away on contention. If that tty
> lock is held for a long time by a lowprio task then that could delay the
> highprio thread. We are starting to see priority inversion problems.
> But, the core issue is doing tty printouts - does jackd do that
> periodically, or only as a reaction to an already existing latency?

No, this cannot be the whole story, because unless verbose mode is
specified, jackd will only prints anything if there is an xrun. So
there is something else going on.

This _really_ feels like a kernel bug. Are you saying that this could
still be a jackd problem, even though T3 works perfectly with the exact
same jackd binary?

Lee