Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: 2.6.10-rc1-mm2: intelfb/AGP unknown symbols

From: Antonino A. Daplas
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 08:09:57 EST

On Saturday 30 October 2004 19:34, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > What's wrong with exporting the symbols back again?
>
> if they are the right api to use; nothing. If they aren't (and what you
> describe somehow suggests they aren't) it sounds better to make the
> frontend usable for the intelfb driver instead...

I think the functions are the right API to use for clients within the
kernel. The frontend is directed more for userspace clients.

The old interface was to do an inter_module_get/put, but this is to
be deprecated. And all it does is to provide all the backend functions
to the requestor.

Either a new interface is provided by agpgart, otherwise, not just intelfb
and i810fb will be affected, but also DRM (which currently uses
inter_module_get/put("drm_agp")).

If I remember correctly, the DRI people also have a new patch that removes
inter_module_get/put and they did it by calling the backend functions directly.

Tony