Re: Linux 2.6.9-ac5 - more stupid FAT filesystems

From: Sami Farin
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 04:04:36 EST

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 03:40:32PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> This update adds some of the more minor fixes as well as a fix
> for a nasty __init bug. Nothing terribly pressing for non-S390 users
> unless they are hitting one of the bugs described or need the new
> driver bits.
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/linux-2.6/2.6.9/
>
> 2.6.9-ac5
> o Fix oops in and enable IT8212 driver (me)
> o Minor delkin driver fix (Mark Lord)
> o Fix NFS mount hangs with long FQDN (Jan Kasprzak)
> | I've used this version as its clearly correct for 2.6.9
> | although it might not be the right future solution
> o Fix overstrict FAT checks stopping reading of (Vojtech Pavlik)
> some devices like Nokia phones

I guess Canon IXUS 400 is overstupid or something.

USB Mass Storage device found at 2
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sdb: 501760 512-byte hdwr sectors (257 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
sdb: sdb1
Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
Attached scsi removable disk sdd at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 3
FAT: invalid first entry of FAT (0xfff8 != 0xfff8)
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdb1.

this is 256MB CF plugged into Lacie USB CF-reader,
Vendor=0aec ProdID=3260 Rev= 1.00.

# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 256 MB, 256901120 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 980 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 979 250608 6 FAT16

CF works in Canon and Windows XP. *shrug*
I believe it's formatted in Canon.

Feel free to ask more info.

# dosfsck -V fatflash.bin
dosfsck 2.8, 28 Feb 2001, FAT32, LFN
Starting check/repair pass.
Starting verification pass.
fatflash.bin: 34 files, 5481/62586 clusters

that was dosfstools-2.8-15 from Fedora.
So I can't even fsck the stupid thing so it could be mounted.