Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 21:08:28 EST

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Anyway, making "asmlinkage" imply "regparm(3)" would make the whole
> discussion moot, so I'm wondering if anybody has the patches to try it
> out? It requires pretty big changes to all the x86 asm code, but I do know
> that people _had_ patches like that at least long ago (from when people
> like Jan were playing with -mregaparm=3 originally). Maybe some of them
> still exist..

Looking at just doing this for the semaphore code, I hit on the fact that
we already do this for the rwsem's.. So changing just the regular
semaphore code to use "fastcall" should fix this particular bug, but I'm
still interested in hearing whether somebody has a patch for the system
calls and faults too?

Linus