Re: [Fwd: Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0.4]

From: Lee Revell
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 20:18:13 EST

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 23:46 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > One more question, what do you recommend the priorities of the IRQ
> > threads be set to? AIUI for xrun-free operation with JACK, all that
> > is needed is to set the RT priorities of the soundcard IRQ thread
> > highest, followed by the JACK threads, then the other IRQ threads. Is
> > this correct?
>
> correct. softirqs are not used by the sound subsystem so there's no
> ksoftirqd dependency.

I don't see much point in latency testing this one yet; I have had to go
for the reset button twice in the past hour. Web surfing and a kernel
compile kill it pretty quickly.

Lockups aside, it's not necessary to use JACK to demonstrate the
problem, playing AVIs with mplayer will skip.

As a final test I am recompiling with all debug options disabled.

Lee