[OT] factory made but custom dual 8255 I/O card Q

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 16:48:56 EST

Greetings;

I'm about to embark on a linuxCNC project, and I have the motors,
controllers, and a futurlec PCI8255 card, with has dual 8255's on it
for a total of 72 I/O lines.

This card has a dipswitch settable addressing scheme that allows it to
be most anyplace from 0000:0000 to 00FF:FF00 in $100 steps for the
increment.

When placed in the machine, the bios reports a resource clash, but
gives the option of continueing the boot. Its got FC2 on it, clean
install with most updates. I've tried moving the address but the
bios still squawks, but it does go ahead and boot to FC2.

Once booted, an lspci -vv doesn't output anything that looks like a
resource clash to me, and while the bios bitches, its supposed to
tell you what is clashing by putting a * in front of the two or more
items at odds with each other, but those screens aren't actually
indicating anything wrong. It also doesn't show this board in the
bios displays.

Can anyone comment on this?

So my next Q then is, do we have, someplace I haven't tripped over it,
a relatively simple, preferably timer IRQ driven assembly program
that could be configured to drive such a board? The linuxCNC soft
seems to favor a par port interface, but is supposed to be friendly
to other methods also, how friendly may be discussed in the user
manual, but it will be another hour + to get to that as its even
pages are now just trickling out of the printer, and odd to go. 159
pages total.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)