Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 16:32:04 EST

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 12:39:24PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 08:55:57PM +0200, Ram?n Rey Vicente wrote:
> > Scott Lockwood wrote:
> > | In what way is that improper? Just because you think so, or do you have
> > | something you can cite in the spanish legal system that forbids this sort
> > | of exchange of rights for a licsense?
> >
> > Improper in the way of misusing the legal system.
>
> This is not getting us anywhere. You're not citing case law, you're
> citing vague statements that don't apply here. And even if they do
> apply, the law is a moving target, new case law changes the rules all
> the time. Who's to say that we don't have a lawsuit in Spain and
> and get new case law put in place that says you don't have such and
> such a right unless you pay for the product? Who's to say someone
> else doesn't do that? It's a moving target.

Case law as you know it is not present in continental Europe, it's only
present in some countries overseas.

In continental Europe, we have laws that cover every detail [1].
Therefore, in continental Europe, we don't cite some court cases ruled
two centuries ago - we cite the paragraphs of the corresponding laws.

If the copyright law (like the German copyright law) says something, the
only way to change it is a change of the law [2].

Larry, if you don't believe me, please ask any lawyer who roughly knows
both your and our law systems about this.

> Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitkeeper.com

cu
Adrian

[1] e.g. in Germany our "Buergerliches Gesetzbuch" (our main book of
civil law) contains four paragraphs covering swarms of bees - what
happens if two swarms of different owners unite, you are allowed to
enter foreign estates to capture your swarm of bees etc. - it's all
explicitely covered by the law
[2] the exception is that our highest court may say a law or a
paragraph of a law is void because it violates our constitution

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed