Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug

From: linux-os
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 12:23:11 EST

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, linux-os wrote:

Linus, please check this out.

Yes, I concur. However, I'd suggest changing the "addl $4,%esp" into a "popl %ecx", which is smaller and apparently faster on some CPU's (ecx obviously gets immediately overwritten by the next popl).

Hmm, I didn't check the instruction length but modern CPUs usually work best with the following:

leal 4(%esp),%esp

--
Andreas Steinmetz SPAMmers use robotrap@xxxxxxxx

Probably so because I'm pretty certain that the 'pop' (a memory
access) is not going to be faster than a simple register operation.

I'll make another patch and post it (if the machine will boot!)

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.