Re: [RFC] Linux 2.6.9.1-pre1 contents

From: Chuck Ebbert
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 12:13:11 EST

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 at 12:33:04 +0100 Alan Cox wrote:

>> ide_maxtor_probe.patch
>> Another Maxtor IDE drive serial number oddity
>
> This is definitely wrong,

It just went into mainline as rev 1.87 to ide-probe.c :(

Your "Integrated Technology Express" addition is missing but I'm
going to add it here.

> the others look fairly sane although there are
> a lot that are for such obscure cases they seem to add not reduce risk.

I've been including one-liners even if they only fix rare cases or
aren't strictly bugfixes, but the larger ones are riskier:

- backport of the rq-lock patch almost certainly created a profiling
bug if the retry path is taken.

- the timers-and-signals patch fixes three things; only one is urgent.

And Hugh's VM accounting patches look very worthwhile (they just went into
mainline.) I took one and might merge the other two - but they change
statm reporting.

Getting them to merge and compile is the easy part...

--Chuck Ebbert 29-Oct-04 11:02:40