RE: Consistent lock up 2.6.10-rc1-bk7 (mutex/SCHED_RR bug?)

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 11:28:13 EST

On Gwe, 2004-10-29 at 15:26, Andrew wrote:
> Although it appears I need to fix an applicaiton bug, is it normal/desirable for an application calling system mutex facilities to
> starve the system so completely, and/or become "unkillable"?

If it is SCHED_RR then it may get to hog the processor but it should not
be doing worse than that and should be killable by something higher
priority.

You are right to suspect futexes don't deal with hard real time but the
failure you see isnt the intended failure case.

[Inaky has posted some drafts of a near futex efficient lock system that
ought to work for real time use btw]

Alan