Re: Some discussion points open source friendly graphics [was: HARDWARE:Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?]

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 10:58:15 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:
On Monday 25 October 2004 11:54, Timothy Miller wrote:

The reprogramability of the FPGA has many advantages, but
reprogramability is not its primary purpose.

But it might turn out to be a reason for it turning into a geek trophy, if the price is not enormously higher than closed-spec cards. You could for example, program real-time sound effects processing into the FPGA and output the samples through a standard sound card.

The enthusiast market is a big market these days.

The picture I have in my head at this time expands on the idea of the
setup engine seen in most GPU's. What I'm thinking is that the setup
engine will be general-purpose-ish CPU with special vector and matrix
instructions. This way, the transformation stage will occur in
"software" executed by a specialized processor. Additionally, the
lighting phase might be done here as well.

The setup engine would produce triangle parameters which are fed to a
rasterizer which does Gouraud shading and texture-mapping. That feeds
pixels into something that handles antialiasing and alpha blending, etc.

I hope you're planning to have a divider available to the rasterizer for perspective interpolation, particularly of textures.

My plans are not quite that specific at this time. For instance, I'm not entirely sure, yet, how perspective correction is done.